Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thinking of Arkansas

Tomorrow is my last day seeing my students. On days like this, where my life is seemingly being turned upside down, I like to remember times past. This is the creek that runs through my grandmother's property in Northwest Arkansas. As kids my grandfather would take my cousins and I riding the horses up the hill across the creek. The view was BEAUTIFUL from there. We would take the horses to parks to ride as well. It was the highlight of the year every summer.
Now my parents have moved in with my grandmother to help take care of her and be near the family. The family dynamics have changed a lot but this beautiful creek still runs through the property. My cousin will fish in it still. We can take 4 wheelers across the creek now - no more horses since my grandfather died. A whole new generation of Reeds is growing up around Northwest Arkansas. They don't get to use the creek and horses like we used to, but hopefully that will change and they will take pride in what our grandparents (they're great grandparents) built and contributed to Northwest Arkansas. I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment