Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Success & Passion

This is one of the first photos I remember taking that I REALLY liked and captured what I wanted to. It's about 3 years old. I was at Vizcaya before an event on my own with my camera and went to town. I wandered for over an hour snapping away photos and remember being excited when I got home and looked at my pictures on the computer. It was a great feeling. I started looking into taking photography classes shortly after this excursion.
This photo was also part of my digital photography project. It was simply entitled Water. I compiled all the photographs I had taken of water. I had captured water in many different forms - moving, still, ice, gas, liquid. I found a way to combine two of my favorite things in the world - photography and water. It was a great feeling. I remember hanging my photos up on the wall with the rest of my classmates (most of whom were art majors) and feeling accomplished, not scared of what they were going to say during the critique - a very different feeling for me that semester. My first photography class became such a community that I looked forward to showing them my new prints week to week for critiques but this class wasn't that way and I was nervous. I still remember the amazement my professor expressed in my work. He hadn't seen any of it because I changed my project at the very last minute and was furiously printing after hours. His best comment to me was about how he could see my passion for the work in this project unlike the one I was forcing myself to do earlier in the semester.
As I am coming to this minor crossroad in my life (I resigned from teaching today), I am evaluating my passions so I can choose my next path. Which way will I go? Maybe I'll look to the photographs...

No comments:

Post a Comment